Monday, September 12, 2011

baby quilt dilemma! ...and introducing Ramone

Help! I am having a more-serious-than-usual case of mid-construction blues.

When I found out that the administrator at Frida's school was having a baby -- SOON! I mean REALLY SOON! -- I knew I wanted to make her a little baby quilt. Soon the entire staff of Miss F's school will be covered in quilts...I'm very predictable, I guess...but that's another story.

I have been wanting to make a quilt of large-ish flying geese, and I got it into my head that I would do a rainbow of geese.

I pulled my fabrics, ROYGBIV (the memory tool/mnemonic device for the colours of the rainbow, provided by my husband who remembers such things!) ...


...and my Lazy Girl ruler...


and I started churning out flying geese.

Here I have to note that the past week has been unusually stressful, so I may very well be imposing on my poor quilt-in-progress what my mother wisely calls "free-floating anxiety."  Poor quilt.  I have no "spare" time so I find myself rushing, which of course means everything goes more slowly (how many seams must I re-do?!).

And then, to top it off, I reached the sad point last night when I was ready to throw in the towel.  Halfway through, and all those flying geese look awfully pointy -- harsh for a baby quilt, no?  I took a quick pic on my phone to try to get some perspective.


And maybe the rainbow isn't working so well after all.

And it's not very whimsical for a wee little baby, is it?

Should I bail, and make her something else?

I need your help, stitchy friends!!

****

I feel more successful right now in the cat rescue domain.

Meet Ramone.


Ramone turned up a couple of months ago, and I thought he was an elderly female.  But no, he is a young(ish) male (the vet estimates that he is a year or two old), and he has adopted us.

He looks a little sad in this picture, but he looked sadder still when I took him to the vet to get "fixed."  He is now getting regular meals from us and is on antibiotics for his infection-related anemia -- so should be shinier and perkier in the weeks to come.

Ramone is also FIV-positive, as are many alley cats these days, poor things.  But he is non-aggressive towards Penelope, he has an endearingly creaky meow, he lets us pet him and tug on his scruff while he's eating, and we are all feeling good about helping him out.

The vet reported that he is very strong with very tough skin.  You would have to be, as a small-ish Tom cat living outside, through harsh Ontario winters.  We may make a housecat of him yet!


But I doubt that Penelope will ever relinquish her position as my assistant.

8 comments:

Still a Brooklyn Kid said...

We like Ramone!

Michelle said...

i think it would be a bit more whimsical if the geese were flying in different directions... maybe one row down, one row up, etc? i think it's sweet :)

Annabella said...

Oh I wish I could help you!! I think Michelle`s idea is excellent and wouldn`t involve too many seams being ripped. Ramone is truly gorgeous and I love rescue pets...hope she settles in well. Have a wonderful day Jennifer!

Tong said...

I don't know what you are talking about, I think the quilt so far looks fabulous! If you still have doubts, try taking another photo with the geese oriented the other way around (so the points of the triangles point up), I always find that to be really helpful and it's prevented some seam ripping in my past =P

And it's so good of you to let Ramone adopt you =) He looks like a little darling who just need a little love! We have a neighbourhood stray who looks just like him, but he/she has long hair, and also has an endearing creaky meow (I couldn't have found better words to describe that) who would come around my backyard sometimes. I want to feed him/her something because he/she always looks famished, but he/she would never stay. I don't want to leave food outside because I don't want raccoons as pets. Maybe one day...

Judith, Belfast said...

Your rainbow colours and pointy geese are lovely! I think what might be pulling it away from being baby friendly is the dark sky/background. I'm sure the last think you want to do is unpick and re-sew but I think a light background would lift the geese. You could always park it, buy a gift and then make the baby a quilt when you're a little less stressed. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Cille said...

Welcome home Ramone.

I have to be honest and say thar the quilt is not quite there. Not that I have any doubt you will end up turning it into one of your amazing quilts though. I think that the grey background is a bit to dark for a wee baby - almost to grave. It could also just be because you have only used the darker colors so far. The first picture with the piles is much bright and happier. I think that the brighter colors will cheer it up.

Prof. S (the enchanted bobbin) said...

I knew I could count on all of you!! Thanks for the good wishes for Ramone, and thank you for your ideas about the baby quilt. I am very happy to report that -- in consultation with my 14-year-old, colour-happy daughter -- I have tried something a bit different with the red-orange-yellow strips of geese. It is looking much, much cheerier with some bright white between the rows and with the geese flying in alternating directions (thank you, Michelle!!). I will post an update tomorrow, but I think these geese are in the home stretch, and they're doing MUCH, MUCH better :)

Isisjem said...

I think you are being too harsh on yourself. I guess we all are at times. I love Michelles idea. You've pulled such pretty patterned fabric - ideal for a baby!